You don’t need harsh chemicals – or tons of time – to get shiny, healthy hair and smoother skin. Just steal these gentle, back-to-basics moves to start looking like a natural beauty rockstar. Whether you are new to natural products or just looking to shake up your routine, we’ve got the recommendations for you to make your natural essence and beauty shine all day and night long.
Fabulous & Fresh Face
- For a radiant complexion slice a few grapes in half and rub the inside over your clean skin. The fruit acids are natural exfoliators and will give you a glowing look. Remember to rinse after about 5 minutes.
- Puffy eyes be gone with a chilled eye cream (tip: keep your cream in the fridge for easy access and always chilled). Apply it from the outer edges of your eyes towards your nose. This helps drain excess fluid in the area. Try Nourish Organic’s Renewing + Cooling Eye Treatment ($20.99; soaphope.com). We love the feel of the metal on our skin for that extra pick me up.
- Zap blemishes with two ingredients homeopaths have used for centuries: arnica which is filled with anti-inflammatory benefits and antibacterial tea tree oil. Find them here in the purest form arnica oil ($13.50) and tea tree oil ($7.29).
Maximize Moisturizers and Face Masks
- A unique way to stay protected, apply a moisturizer with aloe vera before sunscreen; studies have shown the ingredient decreases the effect of UV radiation on skin and may help prevent sunburns. We like Jason’s Soothing Moisturizing Creme ($9.00).
- Increase the effectiveness of a facial mask by applying it in the shower, where steam opens pores so ingredients can penetrate. Check out a large selection over 40+ masks to find the perfect one to pair with your next shower ($2.00 and up).
- Brighten up and protect your skin against environmental aggressors such as UV rays and pollution to fight free radicals that cause premature signs of skin aging. Studies show that antioxidants can neutralize these damaging free radicals. Put up your defense with Avalon Organics Intense Defense that is rich in Vitamin C, White Tea, and Lemon Bioflavonoids to defend and support skin.
Bronzed, Bold, and Beautiful
- Get bronzed skin without the damage of the sun or toxic self-tanners. Mix one teaspoon organic sunscreen and a pinch of loose mineral bronzer in your palm, then blend it over your face for an instant and protective glow. Try Derma-E Natural Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30 ($15.80), and Mahya Mineral Cosmetic Bronzers in a variety of shades ($25.00).
- Firmer jaw, neck, and throat just practice these simple exercises in the morning and evening, or while stuck in traffic, or in the line at the store. Basically, you can do these anywhere! Slowly tilt your head back, pucker up, and try to kiss the ceiling; repeat at minimum 4 times in a row. These are exercises for your face.
- Moisturize your stands and treat them to a hydrating hair mask with all natural Marula Oil. Try Andalou Natural’s Exotic Marula Oil Silky Smooth Hair Mask ($2.73) infused with rich oleic acids and fruit stem cell complex to tame, soften, and hydrate your hair.
- Keep color strong by avoiding shampoos that contain sulfates. They’re bad for you and they are a form of detergent that can fade color or make it brassy. Try Deep Steep’s Color Vibrancy Shampoo ($9.75), that gently cleanses away buildup without stripping to promote healthy, luminous hair. You can add in the condition to complement and improve moisture here.
Strong, Sleek, and Frizz Free
- Add shine to your hair by adding a few drops of Acure The Essentials Moroccan Argan Oil throughout damp hair. The star ingredient, argan oil, makes strands glossy, but won’t weigh them down or feel oily.
- Strengthen hair with a mayo mask or coconut mask. Comb 1/2 a cup through wet hair, wait 15 minutes, and rinse with cool water; shampoo as usual after. We love Nature’s Way Organic Coconut Oil ($18.00) and it will last forever.